AutoStarSuite.Net

Your Source for Meade AutoStar, AutoStarSuite, LPI, DSI and Telescope information
Welcome to AutoStarSuite.Net Sign in | Join | Help
Home Blogs Forums Photos Files Astronomy News

scavenging an old pictor - 416 to improve a DSI III

Last post 11-16-2009, 8:42 PM by ChuckR54. 1 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  11-16-2009, 1:43 PM

scavenging an old pictor - 416 to improve a DSI III

Hi all,

I have recently received an old pictor-416 MEADE camera. I've tried connecting it to a commuter and it did turn on, but altogether didn't work, it was in storage for 15 years, ~50C in summertime and ~0C at winter night's. I have decided to try and salvage it to improve the DSI III we now use.

At best I would like to use it's electric cooler, the shutter and maybe even the filter wheel! if I could just put the DSI in the Pictor casing that would probably be best! Do you think that would be possible?

At minimum I would like to use the cooler, at summer nights the CCD reaches 35C! so I believe that would be tremendous. got any suggestions? Where can I get information on what voltage and current to use?

Hope to find some A's to my Q's, Amir
  •  11-16-2009, 8:42 PM

Re: scavenging an old pictor - 416 to improve a DSI III

Hi, Amir

While I try never to say never, in this case I would not be too optimistic about putting the DSI chip in the Pictor case. The CCD chip is integrated directly onto the PC board for the DSI, so the case has to be designed around that.

As for re purposing the TEC from the Pictor, that might be doable if you are handy with electronics. There have been some good threads on the Meade_DSI Yahoo group about DIY coolers recently. You can check them out at:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Meade_DSI/

HTH,

Chuck
    Chuck Reese
    CDIP Certified: Nebula, Galaxy, Solar System, Stars & Clusters Imager
    CDIP Mentor: Nebulae & Solar System Categories
    For information on the Certified DSI Imager Program, see:
    http://autostarsuite.net/forums/1427/ShowForum.aspx
View as RSS news feed in XML

AutoStarSuite.Net